by Frances Pawley
The lace has a scalloped edge at both ends. I decided to use the scallop for the bottom and the sleeves. I cut the pattern out accordingly and then cut some of the scallop edging from the whole length in order to make the chest and neck frill.
The satin was cut for the skirt and then two bodices were cut. One to use under the lace and the other to use as lining. The skirt was machined together, leaving a 6 inch gap at the back. Tulle was used to provide a little bulk and make the skirt stand out.
I finely machined satin bias tape into the sleeves and added elastic to them, leaving the scallop edge showing and I finished these with cream ribbon bows and a swarovski crystal bead in the centre of the bow itself.
The frill was added to the bodice front before the back panels were attached. Once happy with the layout I machined and hand sewed this in place. I then put the scalloped edging (which had been cut away from the full length piece) and pleated it slightly to fit. One happy with this I used bias ribbon around the neckline to secure. I then attached the bodice panels to the back and sewed in the sleeves. Machining the lining together I turned it so that no seams were showing and handsewed this around all edges, but not the back closure.
Further bias ribbon was used on the back for the closure and at the top of the skirting to allow enough room for a baby to be placed inside.
I machined this bias ribbon and hand sewed to finish, adding three 'silver' press studs to finish.
Finally Swarovski crystal beads were added to the front panel, finished off with small ribbon bows in cream and a longer length of ribbon was used to make a small bow, this time with lengths of ribbon hanging down the full length of the gown. These were finished with Swarovski crystal beads on the 'cross' of each bow.
Not for the faint hearted, but a pleasure to make.
You must be logged in to post a comment